Creating Healthy, Beautiful Smiles with Routine Teeth Cleanings
Time has a way of flying by! Has it been years since you last saw a dentist? Because we believe in prevention, we urge you to book an appointment today with A Dental & Denture in Seattle, Washington, for professional teeth cleaning to keep your dental health on track. Our team is committed to providing you with the highest level of dental care you deserve.
What should I expect during a dental cleaning?
Professional teeth cleaning or oral prophylaxis is a straightforward and painless dental procedure usually lasting 30-60 minutes. The process involves thoroughly cleaning your teeth to prevent gum disease and cavities from progressing.
This is what to expect in your upcoming dental cleaning.
- Oral exam: Before we clean your teeth, we comprehensively inspect your mouth for signs of cavities, periodontal disease, misalignment, and other oral issues. We rely on visual inspections, but if you are due for dental x-rays, we’ll order some for an in-depth view of the oral structures beneath the gum line.
- Plaque and tartar removal: Although you clean your teeth daily, dental calculus may accumulate above and beneath the gum line, especially in the hard-to-access areas. The trained eye of a dentist or hygienist using special tools is required to eliminate troublesome plaque and tartar. Your dental hygienist uses a dental scaler to “blast away” dental calculus from all the areas in the mouth.
- Flossing and polishing: We buff and polish your teeth to remove surface stains. We also give you a professional floss to remove any debris.
- Dental sealants: If you are at risk of dental cavities, we will apply a protective coating to keep your decay-prone teeth healthy.
After teeth cleaning, we expect to see you after six months. Before your next appointment, continue with the excellent practice of brushing twice daily, flossing, and eating dental-friendly foods. Strict oral hygiene care will keep your dental health in tip-top condition and make your next dental cleaning quick and straightforward.
What if I have gum disease?
The early form of gum disease (gingivitis) can be reversed with diligent oral hygiene and professional dental cleanings. However, if the gum infection has advanced, you need periodontal cleaning. Think of this procedure as teeth cleaning but more extensive.
Deep teeth cleaning is a two-process treatment —periodontal scaling and root planing. During dental scaling, the dentist removes plaque and tartar from the teeth and the pocket area between the gums and teeth. After thoroughly cleaning, the dentist administers root planing, where the exposed tooth roots are smoothed out to promote healing and discourage bacterial growth.
How often should my teeth be professionally cleaned?
The recommendation by many dentists is to visit a dentist at least twice annually. However, some patients are prone to dental issues like cavities and gum disease. For these patients, it’s advisable to see a dentist every three months or as advised by the dentist.
Why are regular dental cleanings necessary?
Getting a professional cleaning may seem unnecessary, but it’s one of the best things to do for oral health. Routine dental cleanings detect and fix minor problems before they become major ones.
These are the benefits of teeth cleanings:
- They prevent oral issues such as bad breath, cavities, and periodontal disease
- They protect your overall body health
- Dental polishing and flossing keep your smile beautiful
- They are cost-effective.
- Dental cleanings prepare you for other dental procedures, like teeth whitening and veneer treatment.
Are you currently due for a dental cleaning in Seattle, WA? Don’t wait to see a dentist when you are in pain or develop obvious dental issues. Take control of your dental health today by calling (206) 445-0030 to schedule your dental appointment with the team at A Dental & Denture.